Thursday 15 March 2012

Meribel - A Snowboarder's Paradise





For most of us, when we think of a winter ski vacation, we feel of a ski chalet in the French or Swiss Alps. Sadly, for the traveler on a budget, the words "alps" and "low-priced" don't necessarily go hand in hand. But that does not mean you have to give up the fresh mountain air altogether. It just might mean picking a distinctive mountain top rated, like the High Tatra mountains in Slovakia.

When I to begin with saw the sign on the hostel cork-board in Poland, I didn't believe it was attainable myself. A day pass, plus accommodations and equipment rental for less than 35 Euros? I can't even get a single day pass here in the states for less than 50 dollars a day, (which is about the equivalent, not which includes accommodation, rentals, or anything else.)

So as any avid snowboarder would do in search of low-cost powder, I hopped on a bus to the border of Poland and Slovakia and headed to the smaller village of Zdiar, high in the Tatra mountain range.

When I crossed the border from Poland, I began to take in the gorgeous mountain views on my short bus ride to the small village. With various ski resorts that service the region and a host of summer activities as soon as the snow has melted such as rafting, horse back riding and paragliding, I began to feel suitable at house to the Rocky mountains back in Utah.

A regular Slovic timber residence right in the center of the village (which had dorm rooms as nicely as private rooms starting at 12 euros per night) and cozied up with a hot cup of tea as they began to arrange my equipment rental for my remain (for 5 euros a day, offering a cheaper rate for longer term rentals.) They also geared me up with some snow pants and gloves for a nominal price tag to make certain I was prepared for the components.) The village had a handful of solutions for dining from a wonderful pizza joint, to much more conventional Slovic cuisine starting at about five euros,

No comments:

Post a Comment